Saturday, January 28, 2006


I keep thinking that salvation comes all at once, thats its one big change and then you're ready to live perfectly. And I would never say it like that but thats what I think, expect, desire, deep down inside. And it'll never happen like that. Salvation, God's love, is so much more than a change of mind. And it will come slowly, quietly, seeping into us, throughout our whole lives...every day, a little bit...every week, a little further...every year, a little older...

But I'm so impatient!

But this is my place. This is where I belong. At the foot of the cross - for all my life. Crying out, confessing, asking for forgiveness, breaking...and being upheld by Him. "A cup to hold God's grace". I will always be asking, learning, wondering, questioning, growing, needing. And God will always be there. Being saved will not turn me into a super hero who can do everything and anything and be everything to everyone - as much as I'd like it to.

I think many people, including myself, have thought of salvation as a repair, something to fix us, get us back on our feet, so we can get back to being greater in ourselves. But its so far from that...in fact, being a child of God means I will always have to be humble, lowered, selfless, serving. It is entirely non-self-glorifying; it is completely humbling. I keep jumping up off of my knees and saying "Thanks God! Same time next week when I sin again!"...but I should always be on my knees.

My pastor said that salvation is a constant outcrying for mercy. I thought that was the most depressing definition he could think up for it.
But when we see ourselves as we really are, we can only really picture ourselves living like that, constantly crying out for mercy...Aut I think that because I don't fully understand God's mercy and goodness and love I'm not certain that its all I'll ever need. In my head I do, and in my heart I believe, but I slip. I have experienced so much of His love, but He is so unimagineably...big, so beyond me, bigger than life, that what I have had seems so tiny in comparison. And I find myself asking for more of Him, and then sinning against Him.

"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." - 1 Corinthians 13: 12

Even as I am fully known? He knows me more than any other person could.

His love is overwhelming, flooding, overflowing, inexpressible, and my chief delight. We make our God so small to think He isnt enough..."My grace is sufficient for you" So why do I keep searching for more?

O inconsistent me, crying out for consistency.

9 Comments:

At 1/28/2006 3:14 PM, Blogger Hannah Strauss said...

I find myself worrying constantly, like--does everybody else have a better relationship with God? I wonder if I am slipping away, to the unrecoverable places, and cry because I don't have enough trust, enough love, enough of the faith that other people say they feel so brightly all the time, and then just in that worry, I trust less. but then, I am reminded again that once claimed I can't get out of it. and tomorrow, if I was the throw my life away, do everything that ever disgusted me, I would still be a child of God. unrecoverable places, they don't exsist for me! and that's like I let my breathe out, and laugh shakily--and then get back in the circle. circles circles circles. but little by little, like you said, I think I will grow. despair will avoide my house! no more relying on my own promises given in quick bursts of the flirty happiness of a song one sunday morning, and no more casting reproachful side glances at the soveriegn God who never did forsake me. or, not so much, I hope.

and that is my mini-post which blossomed off yours, but which is not exactly related.
love
love
love
it's like that song, isn't there a song? where this guy with a deep voice sings love love love going lower everytime... yes, I'm sure there's a song.

 
At 1/29/2006 11:10 AM, Blogger Tala Azar said...

hm... i quoted you. that's a great post. thankshhhh MWAH! :)

i cant wait to see you!!!

 
At 1/29/2006 6:09 PM, Blogger Lara said...

no, it is related, very much I think. and I understand that more than you know; you word things so well :D
I worry about that too - does everyone have a better relationship with God? and yeah, everyone talks about it like they feel it so brightly and all the time...I used to worry a lot more about it, but I'm slowly getting better. for lots of reasons.
GAH come to my house. speaking talking....
everything you said is very true and beautiful and in my life. I'm still not like those people but...well, they're not always right, and when they are thats great for them but it doesnt say anything about me and my relationship with God.
I do not know such a song :P
ta-LA-lala!! I saw your quote :) COME OVER! THIS WEKEND! lol wekend, I'm german...mmhm. talking to my mom about the weekend, email coming...exams *bites lip*

 
At 1/30/2006 6:20 AM, Blogger kathleen said...

wow. that was an amazing post lara. whoooooo sweetness. and it's so true.

 
At 1/30/2006 10:53 AM, Blogger Elysha said...

eek SO TRUE! the first paragraph... "I keep thinking salvation comes all at once, that its one big change and then you're ready to live perfectly." ahh yno I thought it'd be like that... you know, "before". and then I realized... conversion. being born again. babys aren't concieved and then BAMB they're born. it takes time. they've gotta grow. just like we... we're being sanctified. And I'm saying this more for my benefit I guess. I like working out my thoughts in words. it helps them process. but yeah. wow. conversion was sweet. and now being sanctified... every new day, every new day... man it's awesome. I can't get over it. I can't get over God's love! How I can be so stupid and yet He still calls me back to Him. it's crazy. man. God's love for us. It's so.... yeah. no words come to mind.
love,
lysha

 
At 1/31/2006 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LARA!!! congradulations on you AUNTNESS!!!! noah looks so amazingly cute and i just wanna kiss him!!! GWAAHHH!! i'm so exited for you!

 
At 2/01/2006 5:12 AM, Blogger Tala Azar said...

NO O O O she beat me to it!!

yes CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D :D :D this is amazing... i want to see him. and you. noahnoahnoahnoahnoah..... :D

love love

 
At 2/01/2006 7:45 AM, Blogger Elysha said...

his name is noah?! AW i LOVE THAT NAME!!!! congrats!!!!

 
At 2/01/2006 9:50 AM, Blogger Lara said...

hehe thank you all so much! he is the sweetest little person, and so tiny and cuddly and adorable AH! and you all have to meet him! he's a miracle.
yes, I quite like the name Noah a lot too :D
so true, lysha, really being saved isnt finding ourselves, its finding God, or, more, knowing God, in whom we find ourselves. if that makes sense. I just think we can make being a Christian so much about ourselves, which could be taken the wrong way, but..I think you know what I mean.
love you all SO much <3

 

Post a Comment

<< Home