Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I’m lying face down in dirt but there’s no scent of defeat. I always thought failure would look something like this but that seems to have been a misunderstanding of success; this soil is nothing short of rich, and I don’t mind it underneath my fingernails.I should be distressed – and I was sure I would be; but I can’t fight this feeling of anticipation, and oddly enough a seemingly inappropriate feeling for the moment – carefree; taken care of. Like a small child in a car seat gazing out the window with wide starry eyes, plump with fulfillment, wet pink lips parted, unquestioning and ignorant of the breakneck speed of the vehicle he’s in; but I’m not ignorant of the danger, so I thought I’d never feel like this.

It feels somewhat out of place, like when you’re waking up and you think its yesterday. Things look a lot different up here. But the sound of my name being scratched off of so many lists can’t seem to drown out the cascading symphony of deliverance. And I can’t find a place for my foot to stand but I won’t think of what’s not underneath my steps, I just can’t wait; can’t wait to know where You’ll take me next, what You know that I don’t and never could. My hope builds with every crumbling skyscraper from my old world. Either I’ve acquired a taste for danger, or I’m trusting.

People say I just need to hold Your hands, but I think I just need to look at them; when I look at mine hope sputters and dies, but Yours awaken inclinations intended at creation and hold unknown possibilities.

it was familiar to me
the smoke too thick to breathe
the tile floors glistened
i slowly stirred my drink
and when you started to sing
you spoke with broken speech
that i could not understand
and then you grabbed me tightly

i wont let go
i wont let go
even if you say so
oh no
i've tried and tried with no results
i wont let go
i wont let go

he then played every song from 1993
the crowd applauded as he curtsied bashfully
your eyelashes tickled my neck
with every nervous blink
and it was perfect
until the telephone started
ringing ringing ringing ringing ringing off

- The Dreams of Evan and Chan, by The Postal Service

11 Comments:

At 6/13/2006 7:22 PM, Blogger Tala Azar said...

AH that is such a GORGEOUS song

and your words- that is what it's about isn't it?

yes..... joy through sorrow

 
At 6/14/2006 9:21 AM, Blogger Lara said...

isn't it?! i love the postal service...wowowowowow I NEED THEM DEEP DOWN IN HERE! yep, the guy has a gift with writing songs, seriously he does. we're gonna get married and stuff ;) lol. you should hear the song.

yes, joy after/because of/through sorrow.

 
At 6/14/2006 2:03 PM, Blogger Tala Azar said...

we're gonna get married and stuff???? what?????? :P

yeah i can't get the song unless i buy it blah! when i come over play it for me :)

 
At 6/14/2006 2:19 PM, Blogger Lara said...

YOU KNOW IT! rofl

yessss come over my love <3

 
At 6/15/2006 7:57 AM, Blogger Elysha said...

the postal service woohoooooooooo

 
At 6/15/2006 8:41 AM, Blogger Estelwen said...

nice post...

 
At 6/17/2006 7:42 AM, Blogger Keith Brink said...

Lara! I totally just discovered your blog...I like it :).

I love this: "People say I just need to hold Your hands, but I think I just need to look at them." Brilliant!

 
At 6/17/2006 5:36 PM, Blogger Lara said...

keith!

so, i just looked for your blog and it definately wasn't there. what is this keith? :P

anyway thanks! whats up?

 
At 6/18/2006 12:18 PM, Blogger Keith Brink said...

Um, last time I checked, my blog was alive and growing, and that was about 5 minutes ago. You can find it here: http://keithbrink.blogspot.com

Hopefully you'll find it, and you can get up-to-date on my life, and my opinions. I do have some rather controversial opinions, so if you enjoy a good discussion, meander over sometime, and hopefully there will be a lively debate going.

:). We should hang out sometime, perhaps do another competition :P. I'm thinking of having some sort of get together once I finish this Slime Monster movie. I'll probably organize it with Katie, so you might be getting a call from her sometime :).

 
At 6/20/2006 1:02 PM, Blogger Teema said...

my darling sister, you are truely brilliant and a gifted writer. tears came to my eyes when i read these two posts. :) i love you.

 
At 6/21/2006 5:21 PM, Blogger Lara said...

keith - lol i have mild dyslexia, when i read your name i said breith kink LOL it was funny, my sides still hurt.

yes, i am up for lively debates on controversial opinions. heh my blog is more introspective, often stream-of-consciousness, reflective writings...or anything else on my mind. :P but i shall make my way over there...it was probably my weird dial-up that confusticated it.

yes, hang outs for sure :) i was thinking of planning a get together at my place actually, once exams are over you know. so we'll see. haha yess competitions...mmm..scrounging up ideas here...

- weirdest hair-do?
- strangest home-made instrument?
- a fashion show!! offf...old clothes or some other interesting theme..
yeaah. lol think on that one.

oh, and i want to see this slime monster movie i've heard so much about hehe as long as its not too scary, i can't handle horror movies ;)

TEMENA! i (L) you greatly. thank you, you're the best sister i could ever have. if it weren't for you i wouldnt be sane enough to write ;) as for yourself, i can't count all your gifts...xo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home