Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Prayer
Louis Untermeyer

God, althouguh this life is but a wraith,
Althouguh we know not what we use,
Althouguh we grope with little faith,
Give me the heart to fight - and lose.

Ever insurgent let me be,
Make me more daring than devout;
From sleek contentment keep me free,
And fill me with a buoyant doubt.

Open my eyes to visions girt,
With beauty, and with wonder lit -
But let me always see the dirt,
And all that spawn and die in it.

Open my ears to music; let
Me thrill with Spring's first flutes and drums -
But never let me dare forget
The bitter ballads of the slums.

From compromise and things half-done,
Keep me, with stern and stubborn pride.
And when, at last, the fight is won,
God keep me still unsatisfied.

5 Comments:

At 10/18/2005 9:46 AM, Blogger Janelle said...

hey thats cool! i missed not being at ange's party this weekend, and youth group...i really badly wanted to go, lol. anyways i really shouldn't be on here i have way too much to do so bye! <333

 
At 10/18/2005 3:30 PM, Blogger Tala Azar said...

wooooooow... i'd make that my life motto... cept i kinda want to be satisfied whed i die... ;)
where do you find these poems?

 
At 10/18/2005 5:32 PM, Blogger Lara said...

i kinda thought that when i first read it, but he doesnt mean unsatisfied like unhappy or unfulfilled, but not to become complacent about life and our relationship with God and to always be filled with a burning..passion, and eagerness. readiness. to serve Him.
yeah i love that poem :) I've been getting these from my gr 8 english book, its awesome, i kept it cause i liked so many pieces in it. wow brings back memories of gr 8..
legro! i missed you!! you should have been there. too much work lovie.
sum, legro, <3<3<3

 
At 10/19/2005 8:04 AM, Blogger Tala Azar said...

hm... ok i get it :) that's very cool :D

 
At 10/24/2005 7:00 AM, Blogger Elysha said...

hehe :D i've been in such a poetry mood lately... I think later on today I'll dig out this old poetry book we have and lose myself on some of the peices.

much love

 

Post a Comment

<< Home